After nearly a 2 year lull in extensive traveling, I packed up my new husband and set off for Uganda!
#1 question from friends and family
before leaving...what/how will you pack for two years? We were each allowed 3 50lb
bags on our British Airways flight, we managed with 5 total, one
being Brad's golf clubs! With plenty of organization and sunscreen we
managed to pack up our clothes, towels, sheets, blankets, tent,
sleeping bags, toiletry essentials, and probably not enough books in
my opinion as I could average one per week.
My parents drove us to O'hare, helped
us carry those 5 50lb bags, then waited to make sure we got our
boarding passes. After we got the all clear, we exchanged tearful
see-ya laters and Brad and I were on our way!
Our first flight was to London. We had
an 11 hour lay over in London, and were determined to explore
Buckingham palace, Piccadilly Circus, Baker Street, and much more.
However, the mix of an unfortunate “beef” dish on the flight and
lack of sleep left me vomiting with a migraine (thanks for having me
keep the migraine meds in the checked baggage mom). I attempted to
nut up in order to not disappoint Brad, but made it as far as the
steps to Buckingham before I felt that overpowering urge to spew. I
sprinted into the park behind a tree, and with the grace of God held
it in! Not proper at all. If you've kept up with my blogs in the
past, it's clear now that I have a complete lack of maintaining
bodily fluids in new foreign lands.
![]() |
| Brad at Buckingham |
We decided to be lame and just head
back to the airport and maybe get some sleep. One more 8 hour flight
and we were in Uganda! Customs was a breeze, then we stepped out of
the airport to be greeted by our driver. After a three hour drive
from the airport we arrived at our new home.
This is what I call “fancy Africa”.
Our house is quite large and equipped with proper toilets, showers,
washing machine, refrigerator, stove, oven, microwave (I haven't even
owned a microwave in over 5 years before now), and so on. Our view of
the River Nile is to die for! The house is pretty secluded and quiet,
every night and morning is a symphony of crazy birds and a cow that
sounds like an elephant. We have a house maid, a cook, a gardener,
and a night watch guard. I think we could get used to this! Brad has
yet to experience “real Africa,” no matatu rides, bus rides, bike
bodas, begging glue sniffing children, bony gristly meat, hardened
corn meal. Maybe later, but for now I am loving this house and life
style!
Our house is next door to the owners of
Nile River Explorers, Jon and Trish, as well as quite a few other
expat families. We haven't really gotten to know the locals, outside
of our awesome house maid and night guards (Judith, Charles, and
Emma). The expat families have been overly welcoming, making us feel
very happy to live here. Our first night here, Misty and Jon, a
missionary couple from the states who have 2 young girls in the
school, showed us around town and took us for pizza. Upon arrival
Debbie and Salam, doctor and owner of NGO from Australia and Ethiopia
2 girls in the school, gave us a welcome basket of food and they are
our constant go to for questions and answers. Jon and Trish,
mentioned above and also have the 2 coolest kids and dogs EVER, have
hooked us up with rafting, a great cookout, and beer. Davey, my
friend who works at NRE, has made us feel like we have an instant
friend by showing us around and taking us out to a great Indian
dinner. This really only touches on the kindness and extension of
hospitality we have received. We are so grateful for all of these
people, I can't even describe how awesome they have all been. Jinja
has embraced us and we are happy to call it home.
![]() |
| Rafting the Nile |
Daily life is slow, but good. I am the
full time tutor of 4 girls, Maryam and Lele in the 6th
grade, and Yamina and Aida in the 8th grade. They come to our house around 9am and complete the majority of their classwork
online. I basically oversee, answer questions, and supplement with
little activities or projects. After quietly sitting at a computer
all day, I have decided to spend the last 45 minutes of each day
doing something interactive whether it be yoga, discussing current
events, PE, paddle boarding in the river, or art. The girls go home
just after 3, then Brad and I usually have a cup of tea, read, work
out, cook dinner, unwind from a hectic day, and go to bed around 8:30 as there's not much to do after dark, and it gets dark at 6:30.
![]() |
| Yamina, Aida, Lele, Maryam |
We are adjusting quickly to life here,
simple to do in such a peaceful and beautiful place!
~Samantha



This post was very well done. But I think the one above has a little more substance to it.
ReplyDelete